Connections disappear in Synchronization Connections in SharePoint 2010 User Profile Import

*** UPDATE 05/07/11 ***
I noticed that this blog entry seems very popular from the stats I receive and wanted to provide an updated stance on the original blog I posted almost a year ago regarding this issue.

Basically at the time of writing this post there was limited experience and documention out there regarding this and for me the below seemed to work. HOWEVER since then naturally my experience of diagnosing the User Profile service and issues surrounding it and would suggest that if you have the symptoms I experienced below there is something fundementally wrong and the resolution I provided may only be a temporary fix ad the issue may re-appear.

So my advice is to make sure you have fully read and configured your environment in preparation for the User Profile service and if you have this issue still revisit the pre-requisites and make sure you have done EVERYTHING suggested in the link here and troubleshooting here

Finally you need patience! without this you are more than likely going to make a mistake!

Good luck

*** Original Post ***
On a recent SharePoint 2010 install I came up against a strange scenario where a newly created profile connection disappeared from the page as shown below.
I found that this was due to ‘Forefront Identity Manager Service’ had not automatically restarted upon reboot of the server.
Open services.msc snap in locate the ‘Forefront Identity Manager Service’ service and start the service.
Simply refreshing the Synchronization Connections page made the connection reappear.
Sorry - this wont solve all your profile import issues but hopefully helps.


Unknown said...

Imagine my concern upon bringing my Farm back online and not seeing any of the connections to AD. Whew! Thank you Paul.

Paul Grimley said...

Hi John, thanks for the feedback and its a pleasure to help.

Mikey said...

Awesome. TY

Post a Comment